Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Knight Play Set

A couple months ago a friend of mine asked for my help with some presents for her son's 5th birthday. She sent me a couple pictures of what she had in mind for him and this is what I came up with.




I used 2 layers of thick cardboard and cut out the shape of the shield. I then cut out felt to cover it and attached it with spray adhesive. I hand stitched around the edge with embroidery floss to give it some detail. I also added an Old English font "M" for Michael. To do this I printed the letter on paper, cut it out and then traced it on my felt. I used a very small pair of embroidery scissors to cut it out of the felt. I then attached it with hot glue.






Next I created the sword. It took me a bit to decide what would be sturdy enough for a 5 year old and also what would be safe. I ended up using a small wrapping paper tube that was very thick. I wrapped felt around it and hot glued it, then tucked the ends in. Next I cut out 2 square pieces of cardboard, cut a hole in the center and covered it with felt as well. I also stitched around the edge again with the floss. It was a perfect fit and I was able to just slide it over the end and it stayed in place perfectly.






Finally for the crown I found a template on google images and traced it on 2 pieces of felt. I sewed around the edges adding a piece of elastic to the back. After that I sewed the star to the front. It's cute and simple and I love it.



I love how this project turned out. It only took a couple hours to make and didn't cost a dime because I used everything that I had on hand. I plan on making Kaleb one for Christmas this year and hope to come up with a princess set for Andrea to go along with it.








Linking Up At:



Confessions Of A Stay At Home Mommy

2 comments:

DesertHen said...

You have crafty talent coming out your ears girl! This is so cute!

Confessions of a Stay at Home Mommy said...

That is such an awesome idea! I would love it if you would link up to my Tuesday Confessional link party going on now: http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/07/tuesday-confessional-link-up-2.html. I hope to see you soon!
~Macy from Confessions of a SAHM