I used 2 layers of thick cardboard and cut out the shape of the shield. I then cut out felt to cover it and attached it with spray adhesive. I hand stitched around the edge with embroidery floss to give it some detail. I also added an Old English font "M" for Michael. To do this I printed the letter on paper, cut it out and then traced it on my felt. I used a very small pair of embroidery scissors to cut it out of the felt. I then attached it with hot glue.
Next I created the sword. It took me a bit to decide what would be sturdy enough for a 5 year old and also what would be safe. I ended up using a small wrapping paper tube that was very thick. I wrapped felt around it and hot glued it, then tucked the ends in. Next I cut out 2 square pieces of cardboard, cut a hole in the center and covered it with felt as well. I also stitched around the edge again with the floss. It was a perfect fit and I was able to just slide it over the end and it stayed in place perfectly.
Finally for the crown I found a template on google images and traced it on 2 pieces of felt. I sewed around the edges adding a piece of elastic to the back. After that I sewed the star to the front. It's cute and simple and I love it.
I love how this project turned out. It only took a couple hours to make and didn't cost a dime because I used everything that I had on hand. I plan on making Kaleb one for Christmas this year and hope to come up with a princess set for Andrea to go along with it.
Linking Up At: