Sunday, March 6, 2011

My Night With The King of Country Music

About a month ago George Strait, Reba McEntire and Leann Womack came to the MGM Grand. We weren't planning on going but that day I found an absolute steal on tickets on craigslist so I just couldn't pass it up. It was kind've a crazy day trying to get everything lined up, find a babysitter at the last minute and get down to the strip on time but we made it and I am so glad we did! I have wanted to see George Strait live for as long as I can remember. He was my mom's absolute favorite and I grew up listening to his music. I remember as a little girl I had a life size George Strait poster on my bedroom wall. I even had a huge George pillow on my bed. This concert was an absolute dream come true for me!

Once we got to the stadium we realized why we got such a good deal on the tickets. We were in the nose bleeds! See that wall behind us? We were up as high as you could possibly go. We were a little disappointed at first but it turned out to be kind've nice because we didn't have any drunkards behind us and we were right on the end of the row so it was easy to get in and out.

We arrived about 45 minutes early so we spent the time playing with Jeff's new Droid, taking horrible self portraits, watching 30 Rock episodes and playing with the fun features on his phone.

Wow, we were sooooooooo far away!

First up was Leann Womack. Her music reminds me most of a summer I spent in Montana with my grandparents when I was 14. My grandma loves her music and we listened to her CD all summer long. She is beautiful in person and has an amazing voice.

Next up was Reba. I had never given much thought to how great it would be to see her in person but she put on an unbelievable show. That woman can SING! She even came out to the stage in a little taxi cab when she sang "Fancy". It was awesome. I was just a tiny bit disappointed that her show went on for sooooooo long. We had to get home to the babysitter so we didn't want to stay too late. I think she sang about 20 songs or more so by the end of it I felt like standing up and chanting "We want George, We want George", but I didn't.

The King of Country wrapped up the evening. All I can say is I was in heaven. I don't know if you all are country fans but you have to admit that there is no one better than George Strait. His voice gives me chills and I don't know another 58 year old that can rock a pair of wranglers like that man can. We only could stay for about 8 of his songs since it was so late but I was so glad I got to hear him sing a few of the classics. He sang "Ocean Front Property"and "The Fireman" as well as "Sea Shores of Old Mexico" and some newer ones. Overall it was an amazing night and I hope he comes back again next year. I think I would definitely splurge to get seats a little closer to the stage!

1 comment:

DesertHen said...

Reminds me of the first time Eric and I saw George in concert...we too were in the nose bleed section!That was before the jumo-tron tv's so we really had to squint to see him. I think his hat was bigger than him when we looked!
The concert was great though and we had fun! I still have ticket stubs from both concerts!

I did get to see him again with much better setting the next time. =)