Thursday, January 13, 2011

Lamp Shade Make Over

I have an awesome friend named Jenny that used to work at Target. She also happens to be an amazing bargain shopper. She was always finding amazing deals at work and being her roommate at the time I would often reap the benefits of her bargaining. One item that sticks out in my mind is an electric griddle that she found for $4 on clearance. I bought it and have used it for the last 7 years. Another thing she found was a floor lamp. I can't remember exactly how much it was but I know it was CHEAP. It isn't anything fancy but it has moved with me 7 times since then and still works like a charm. I was looking at it a few days ago and realized how disgusting the shade was looking. It was dirty and dusty and had tons of cheeto fingerprints on it from my kids. The plastic on the inside was cracking and it just looked downright pitiful. I knew I didn't want to spend any money on a new one so I came up with a plan to cover it and make it cute.

I have a goal to use up all my fabric before I buy anymore so I went through my stash and found a large piece of linen fabric that I got from my mom. I had planned to use it to recover the leather ottoman our cat used as a scratching post but it wasn't quite big enough to cover it.

I measured the top and bottom of the shade and somehow used my little brain to come up with measurements for the fabric pieces. I really didn't know if I had measured it right so I was pleasantly surprised that it turned out exactly how I wanted it to.


I sewed all the pieces together and then ironed down the seams. I then sewed the last 2 pieces together and slipped it over my lamp shade. I pulled the ends around the top and bottom and hot glued them. I didn't take a picture after that step but it looked really plain. So I decided to use the left over fabric to make flowers to go around the bottom.

I cut long strips of the fabric, twisted them and wrapped them around 2 fingers to make my flowers. I then tucked the end of it through the middle and hot glued them together.


I don't like to toot my own horn but I love how it turned out. I also love that I didn't have to spend a dime to make it cute!

7 comments:

Natalie Bergquist said...

SOOOOOOOOOO cute!!!

DesertHen said...

You are SO CLEVER!! Erin I think you need to start your own Etsy shop!!!!

Erin Terry said...

I actually have an Etsy shop Sharon. I just haven't added anything to it in a long time. Maybe I will soon.

creatingme said...

Love this!

Amy said...

This is awesome! Great idea. I actually needed new lampshades, but I think i might copy this idea and just cover the ones I have. You're amazing, can't wait till we can hook up one of these times you are here.

Kyle and April Moore said...

oh my gosh that is stinking cute!!

meg@happylooksgoodonyou said...

I love this! It is so fantastic!