Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Ironing Board Re-Do

A while ago while searching Etsy I came across these beautiful ironing board covers made by CityChicCountryMouse. They have such an amazing selection of colors and fabrics and I want one soooooooo stinkin bad. Between school uniforms, church clothes, and all the fabric I use for projects, I do a lot of ironing. I want a cover that will make me happy and cheer me up a little because let's be honest, ironing makes me a little grumpy.

{Paisley in Blush ironing board cover by CityChicCountryMouse}

So here is the story of my new ironing board cover. I've had my eye on the cover above for a while now but couldn't justify it as a necessity. My old cover was hideous. I got it when Jeff and I got married 5 years ago. It used to be white with big green polka dots but it was now a yucky yellow. It was hard and crusty from all the starch I use and the padding was coming out the sides of it. I went to Joanns about a week ago to use a gift card I had gotten for Christmas. I looked around for a while but couldn't really find anything I wanted or needed at the moment. Then I spotted an ironing board cover in the clearance for 3.97. It wasn't anything fancy but it was cute and glittery and had a small pocket attached to keep my starch and stuff in. So I grabbed it and went to check out. When I got to the register I realized a mistake had been made and there wasn't any money on the gift card. I could have paid for it but decided it wasn't meant to be. That night I came home and went through my fabric to see if I had something I could make my own cover out of. This is what I came up with.

{Please forgive the dark pictures, I do most of my crafting at night when the kiddos are fast asleep and I can have some peace and quiet}

I had a cute blue fabric with white polka dots that my mom had given me when we visited them in October. I'm not sure what kind of fabric it is but it has some stretch to it so the first thing I did was let the hot iron sit on it for a bit to make sure it wouldn't melt! Once I decided it would work I took my ironing board and laid it on top of some paper. I traced it and created a stencil. I then pinned it to my fabric and cut it leaving about 2 inches all the way around. I then folded the fabric over and sewed all the way around leaving a small opening to thread elastic through. It is quite similar to the way I make crib sheets using the tutorial found here.

The whole project was done in about 30 minutes. It slips right over the ironing board and can be removed easily for cleaning.

Some day when the cash starts flowing again I will treat myself to a lovely cover from CityChicCountryMouse. Until then I will enjoy this one and perhaps smile a little more while I iron.

1 comment:

DesertHen said...

I love your cover! So cute!

A couple of summers back, Randi and I went out to Granny's place to look for a few things that she wanted to locate. We had been talking about ironing boards for some reason and I was complaining that I had to return my mom's board to her because she needed it back. That meant I would have to start using the bathroom or kitchen counter to iron on again...lol So anyway while we were at the house Randi came of one of the back rooms and handed me Granny's ironing board. I asked if she was sure she wanted me to have it and she said yes. I was touched..I know silly, but I was touched non the less. I thought of all the blouses, dresses, skirts, etc that Granny would have ironed on it for church, going to town, etc and thought what a hoot Granny would have at my expense if she knew how bad of an ironer I was. Seriously, I can iron more wrinkles into something than out of it!LOL So now that board is in need of a new cover as it still has the original on it. Guess I'm going to have to get crafty and try to make one now. =)