Monday, December 13, 2010

My Thoughts About A Great Guy.....

Tonight I wanted to take the chance to brag about a great guy that I know.......My Father-In-Law, Allen. For those of you who don't know him, you are truly missing out! I can honestly tell you that when I made the decission to marry Jeff after a VERY short time of dating a lot of it had to do with his family. From the very first time I met them they welcomed me into their home and made me feel like I belonged there.

(Allen on the bus to Disneyland, Oct. 2010)

3 years ago Allen received a calling to serve as the Temple Christmas Light Coordinator for the St. George, Utah LDS Temple. Since then he has spent countless hours checking and rechecking hundreds of thousands of Christmas lights and coordinating hundreds of volunteers to hang the lights. In addition to all that he drives by the temple every night from Thanksgiving until New Years to make sure all the lights are working. I'm not sure he knew exactly what he was getting himslef into but he has done an amazing job. And I have to add that my Mother-In-Law, Bev, has been right by his side every step of the way supporting him and helping in any way she can.

It has now become a family tradition to attend the Lighting Ceremony the day after Thanksgiving. It is an opportunity to welcome the holiday spirit into our lives by listening to wonderful speakers and choirs, then everyone sings Silent Night while the lights are turned on for all to see.

It is a beautiful sight to behold. These gorgeous pictures don't even do it justice!

We are so thankful for the opportunity we have had to be a part of this. I hope that Allen will be able to do it for many years to come. The temple already holds a very special place in our hearts and this has just added even more to the joy that we feel when we visit it.

Allen, I love you and I am so grateful that you knew long before anyone else did that I would one day be your daughter- in- law :). Thank you for all your love and support in all we do.

2 comments:

DesertHen said...

So very Beautiful! Your father-in-law sounds like a wonderful man!

Natalie Bergquist said...

Wow! I wondered how it all worked (Temple lights). Thank you Jeff's dad for all that work for us to enjoy! I love it!!! =)