Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Here's What's Happening in my Neck of the Woods

As I said in my last post I am sorry for the lack of blogging. My life has been running in fast forward for the last few months and I am hoping to hit slow motion or pause very soon!
Here's just a few things that we have been up to......

Nothing says "I Love You" like a rose made from a tomato skin! Jeff has been in a buffet and catering class for the last 6 weeks and he has learned all kinds of fun tricks. A few nights ago he made me this rose. He has also been practicing making flowers out of radishes, turnips, cantaloupe, carrots and many other things. Last night he got to do ice carving for the first time. He made a beautiful angel fish. Hopefully I can get a picture of it to post soon.

Since we will be at my parent's house for Halloween this year and it falls on a Sunday we will be going to the Trunk Or Treat at their church Saturday night. I wanted to come up with something fun to make the kids "earn" their treats so I made this bean bag toss game. I made it using the bottom of a pop-up tent that my kids destroyed. I sewed around the edges of the holes with yarn so it wouldn't fray and added some points for fun. I like that it folds up nicely so I can keep it for future birthday parties. Costco marked down all their Halloween stuff early so I scored and got 80 containers of play dough and 60 packs of Disney card games all for $10! So we'll have some fun prizes to hand out.

My little sister Emma wanted to be a cowgirl this year. We were all very excited about this because she has been a witch for 4 or 5 years in a row! So this week I have been working hard to make her a cute cowgirl costume. I made these chaps from felt as well as a vest. She has an adorable pink cowboy hat and some fancy light up cowboy boots that will go perfectly with her costume.


Kaleb has had his heart set on being an M&M for Halloween. The original plan was to be Alvin and the Chipmunks so I am so happy that he changed his mind. These costumes were so simple to make. They may not be anything spectacular but the kids love them and they are sure to be the cutest little M&Ms ever!


On Sunday I found out that a friend from church has cancer. She was one of the first people I met when we moved to Las Vegas. She introduced me to a lot of people and was so kind and welcoming to our family. She has been trying to have a baby and now will never be able to. My heart is breaking for her and her family. The women of our church are putting together a quilt for her to use when she starts her chemotherapy treatments. Everyone was asked to make an 8x8 quilt square. The only requirement was that we put our names on it so she would know who made each square. This is the square that I made for her. I got the idea HERE and changed it a little bit to make it my own. I hope that as she goes through this hard time in her life she will look at this quilt and know how many people love her and are praying for her. I hope you will keep her in your prayers too.


No comments: