Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Fun with Gerber Puffs Containers

If you're a mom with young kids chances are you have some of these in the house, Gerber Puffs. For me they were a life saver. Once my kids were old enough to eat them I didn't go anywhere without them! They saved me from several meltdowns in the grocery store, on trips, at Dr. appointments, at church and the list goes on and on!

Since my kids were eating so many of these the empty containers started to pile up. I'm a bit of a pack rat and don't like to throw out things that could be useful "someday". Last Christmas I came up with an idea to put all the empty containers to good use.

I decided to make Kaleb a bowling set with them. A friend of mine gave me a few more containers so I had 10. Just enough for the set. I used red duct tape for the stripes. I put 1/2 cup rice in the bottom of each container to weigh them down a bit and then I glued the lids on with a hot glue gun.

For the bowling ball I got a Styrofoam ball and mod podged strips of fabric to cover it and make it hard. You can tell that a years worth of play has taken it's toll so I think it's about time to make him a new ball.
This bowling set was such an easy and inexpensive gift and it was one of his favorites.


A couple days ago I came across one more container in my craft supplies so I wanted to do something fun with it. I came up with this idea that I thought would be cute for kids to make for teachers, friends or neighbors. It can be filled with candy or any other kind of fun treat.
I used a lid from a can of spray starch, hot glued it to the lid and spray painted it black. Then I added some ribbon and a button. I used beads for the eyes and mouth, felt for the nose and some Christmas fabric (left over from making gift bags) for the scarf. I then hot glued buttons down the front.

This project only took me about 10 minutes and didn't cost a dime!



3 comments:

Natalie Bergquist said...

Such cute stuff!!! LOOOVE it!

Terrell said...

Oh goodness...these are some seriously creative ideas girly!! Way to go! :D I'm so excited to be your newest follower of your sweet blog and I would love to have you as a friend at Frou Frou Decor! Be sure to link up your creations each week at my Fabulous Friday Finds party! Hope to see you there!
Hugs,
~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~

Kim @ Life of a Modern Mom said...

LOVE this idea! I finally got 10 puffs containers saved up. :) I put the ones we made on my blog today with a link to your post! Thanks!
http://lifeofamodernmom.blogspot.com/2011/01/homemade-bowling-set.html