Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Oh no! Not a chore chart!!!

I remember absolutely dreading chore charts when I was younger. My mom was constantly coming up with new ideas to get us to help out around the house. They never lasted for long but I remember promising myself that I would NEVER make my kids use a chore chart!
Well......I am now breaking that promise. A certain 3 year old little boy that lives in this house has a very hard time listening to his mommy and cleaning up after himself! It is such a battle to get him to clean up his toys, brush his teeth and say his prayers at night. I have been searching blogs for a while trying to come up with ideas but I haven't found exactly what I was looking for. So yesterday I came up with a very simple idea to get him to start helping out around the house and to teach him a little responsibility.

I bought this magnet board for $1 at a thrift store a couple years ago. It has been sitting around collecting dust and now it finally has a purpose. I tried thinking of 5 main things that I want him to do everyday. I decided on making his bed, brushing his teeth, feeding the cat, picking up toys and saying his prayers. I just printed off basic clip art and colored them. I put contact paper on them so they wouldn't be damaged easily and I glued magnets to the backs.

To show that he has completed a chore I glued magnets to 5 pennies. We are going to Disneyland in a month and he is very excited to make a book of pressed pennies. He has been collecting them for months (from my wallet, in the car, out of daddy's pocket) and I thought this would be a perfect chance for him to start EARNING his pennies.

He was very excited when he woke up this morning to do his chores. He completed all 5 very quickly and when he was done he counted the pennies on the board that he had earned. I then counted out 5 pennies for him and he placed them in his bank. I sure hope his excitement continues and he is able to learn that we all have to pitch in around here to keep our home nice.


2 comments:

Natalie Bergquist said...

What a cute idea!!!!! LOVE it!!! I take notes when I read your blog.

Alisa and Sky said...

Cute idea!! Thanks for sharing!!