Thursday, September 30, 2010

It's All About the Ears

Our Disneyland trip would not be complete without some Minnie Mouse and Mickey Mouse ears for my kids to wear. I considered buying some while we were at the Disney Store in the mall a couple weeks ago but just couldn't let myself pay $15 each for them. I kept telling myself "They are cute, but not THAT cute." So I came home and searched the Internet again to come up with some ideas. And of course! One of my favorite bloggers came through for me again and she had just posted a tutorial to make Minnie Mouse Ears! So, I got to work and had these finished in about 20 minutes without spending a dime! Head over to Honey Scrap and check out the awesome tutorial.



Isn't she the cutest Minnie Mouse you've ever seen!?


Next I needed to come up with an idea for Mickey Mouse ears for Kaleb. Since his shirt has Pirate Mickey on it I wanted to make him some sort of pirate hat. I have had a few bandannas in my fabric pile for years so I thought this would be a perfect time to finally put one to use. I made the ears using the same method as in the tutorial above. I cut out 4 round pieces of felt and cut out 2 circles from a cereal box. I placed the cardboard pieces between 2 pieces of felt, then sewed around the outer edges of the felt to create the ear.

Next I put the bandanna on his head to decide where the ears would go. I made a mark where I wanted them. I cut along one edge of the bandanna where it would go across his forehead and sewed a seam across. I also cut the opposite corner up towards the center and sewed seams to create ties for the back of the bandanna. After that I sewed the ears on where I had made my marks. I was concerned that they wouldn't stand up but once I put it on his head they stood up perfectly. Again this project only took about 20 minutes and didn't cost me anything!

"Yo ho, yo ho, a Pirate's life for Kaleb!"


My mother-in-law insists that we'll have the best dressed kids at Disneyland and I think I have to agree with her!

3 comments:

Natalie Bergquist said...

Seriously the cutest at Disneyland!!!! Brilliant again my friend. The ears are soooooooooo cute!

Michelle said...

Those have to be the cutest ears I have ever seen!

Hanna said...

Hi there! I'm your newest follower. I found you on the Friday link up. Lovely blog:) You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com