Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Budget Friendly Disney Shirts

I'm like every other mom out there. I want to give my children everything their little hearts desire. I will admit that if I had the money to do it they would probably be spoiled rotten. But since I don't have the money to do it I improvise, A LOT. I am always looking for ways to create new things on a budget. I have found that a little bit of creativity can go a long way.

I wanted my children and nieces to have some fun shirts to wear to Disneyland but I didn't want to spend a lot. I was so excited to find that our Dollar Store has a great selection of T-Shirts. They are actually name brand shirts like Hanes, Fruit of the Loom and I even found a Disney brand shirt. I purchased 4 of them and came home determined to create some fabulous shirts for these adorable kiddos. I originally wanted to do freezer paper stenciling but they didn't have any at our local grocery store so I decided to go through my felt stash and see what I could come up with. I searched the internet for ideas and this is what I came up with.......

Pirate Mickey Mouse for my son, Kaleb. Using this image as my inspiration I created this adorable shirt that he absolutely LOVES! I drew out my own Mickey pattern, cut it out of black felt and sewed it onto the shirt. I then cut out the pirate hat from red felt and sewed it on. I completed it with a gold button and even pierced Mickey's ear, making him one of the toughest pirates around.

Next was a Minnie Mouse shirt for my daughter, Andie. I again searched the Internet and found this image to inspire me. I had a terrible time cutting out the small polk-a-dots so I decided to use buttons. I sewed them onto the pink felt first, then sewed on a Minnie Head, which was actually the same pattern for the Mickey head. Then I sewed on the bow and other pink felt and it was done!

(Isn't my little model precious!?)

Next is a shirt for my sweet niece Kaitlyn. I have always called her "Princess". I found an amazing tutorial for this adorable Cinderella shirt on Honey Scrap. She made it for her daughter to wear to Disneyland as well. I made mine a little differently than she did but still love the way it turned out.

Next is a shirt for my niece Kylie who loves Winnie The Pooh. I used this picture to again cut the outline from felt. I sewed it to the shirt and then sewed the butterfly, or as Pooh would say "flutterby", by hand and sewed it to his nose using my sewing machine.

The best part about this whole project is that I only spent a total of $4! That is such a huge savings compared to how much they would have cost to purchase at Disneyland.


Please join me again tomorrow to learn how to make a Minnie Mouse ear headband and a Pirate Mickey hat!


7 comments:

Natalie Bergquist said...

Holy smokes those are ADORABLE!!! So so so cute. You are pretty much the craftiest and most motivated-to-craft person I know. Awesome.

The White Clan said...

I truly enjoy all of these!

Erin Terry said...

Thanks ladies! You're both so sweet.

Kim said...

These are so cute and original. I'd love if you'd link them with Fabric Fun Thursday, too.

Jenn said...

I love the Cinderella one! I finally have a girl {after 3 dudes} and I can totally see her wearing something like that! You are super talented!
Have a beautiful day!
{I am visiting from Tatertots and Jello}

allison @ itstoilegood.blogspot.com said...

I love ALL of these shirts! I took my girls at the beginning of the summer and I WISH I had made them something this adorable! Never saw anything as cute as these at the parks! Awesome job and thanks for sharing!

Elyse said...

What cute shirts! Thank you for inspiring me too.