Thursday, May 6, 2010

What's on my mind.....

Do you ever feel like there are a million things on your mind, a million things on your "to-do" list and your life is moving faster than the speed of light? That is how I feel right now. So what should I do about it? That is the question I keep asking myself. It's a question that I have been asking myself for a very long time actually. I've taken some time this week to stop... and breath... and reflect on a lot of things. I've been thinking a lot about where I was and who I was a year ago and where I am and who I am today. Do you think a year can't possibly make a lot of difference in your life? I am here to tell you IT CAN!
So how has my life changed? Well, I can state the obvious. We packed up, moved to Las Vegas, left behind all our friends and family, and started over. If only it were that simple though! Rewind to a year ago......Jeff and I were both working and unhappy. He would work from 4-1 and I would work from 1-5. We'd see each other long enough to eat dinner, maybe watch TV for a bit and then we would go to bed, wake up and do it all over again. That was our life. Now I know that working is a fact of life and I know that there are millions of parents who have to both work to make ends meet but we felt like all we did was work, work, work and it was getting us nowhere. By the end of the summer we knew it was time for a change. Now I won't say what the turning point was for us because I think there are things in a marriage that are between a husband and a wife and should stay that way. But I will say that we knew without a doubt that we needed to figure out what we wanted out of life and what would make us happy. It didn't take us long to decide what to do. Culinary school was Jeff's dream, a dream that we really didn't think was possible. We had talked about it before but I always thought of it as something he might do when the kids were grown and life was a little less complicated. Well, we discussed it again and the next thing I knew we were on our way to Vegas to take a tour of the school and meet with the admissions department. We didn't really tell anyone we were going because we still weren't sure how we would ever make it a reality. By the time we left the school that day though we knew that whatever it took we were going to make it happen.
Fast forward to right now...... I am exhausted.... but I am happy. After 2 months of being out of work Jeff was finally able to transfer to the Costco here. They told him it would be "limited part-time"(meaning they wont actually guarantee him a set schedule). The funny thing is though he has been working even more than full-time hours! This has been a huge blessing for us. After all the financial struggles we have been through, there is finally a light at the end of the tunnel! So what is our schedule like now? Well, I stay home with the kids. Jeff works from 5-130, comes home, takes a nap, does homework, and goes to school from 6-1030. Wait, wait, wait. How is that any better than the horrible schedule we were on a year ago? I've been asking myself that a lot and the answer that I have come up with and that I keep reminding myself of over and over and over is, WE ARE FINALLY WORKING TOWARDS SOMETHING! We aren't just struggling to get by anymore, we're struggling to create a BRIGHT and HAPPY future for our children! It's not that it is any easier than it was before, but it all has meaning now. That has made all the difference for us.
So, in so many ways, we've just been through probably the roughest year of our marriage. Many people would give up, many marriages would fail, but what did we do? We prayed and prayed and prayed some more. And then we went to the temple and were sealed for time and all eternity!
This year and all its struggles has given us an opportunity to see just how many people love and support us. It has given us a chance to count our blessings and learn what truly matters the most to us. It has given me a chance to be creative and use my talents to make money and find ways to save money. And it has given Jeff a chance to do what he loves. What could be better than that?
We thank you all from the bottom of our hearts for loving us, supporting us, and sticking by our side. It may have seemed like a crazy thing to do, but we had to do it and now you know why!

2 comments:

Natalie Bergquist said...

I wouldn't call that ramblings (FB), I would call that awesome!!! What a great post--thank you for sharing that. I'm so glad you're happy and got a job where you get to stay home and that Jeff is fulfilling a dream and you guys are working toward something. You guys are awesome. We just love you!!! And thank you so so so much for allowing us to attend your sealing. That was so special and amazing and precious.

Erin Terry said...

Thanks Natalie. I'm so glad you were there too. I only wish I had gotten to hang out and get to know you better before we moved!